SHORTLISTED for the 2011 Man Booker Prize for Fiction
A thrilling and powerful novel about a young boy lured to sea by the promise of adventure and reward, with echoes of Great Expectations, Moby-Dick, and The Voyage of the Narwhal.
Jamrach’s Menagerie tells the story of a nineteenth-century street urchin named Jaffy Brown. Following an incident with an escaped tiger, Jaffy goes to work for Mr. Charles Jamrach, the famed importer of exotic animals, alongside Tim, a good but sometimes spitefully competitive boy. Thus begins a long, close friendship fraught with ambiguity and rivalry.
Mr. Jamrach recruits the two boys to capture a fabled dragon during the course of a three-year whaling expedition. Onboard, Jaffy and Tim enjoy the rough brotherhood of sailors and the brutal art of whale hunting. They even succeed in catching the reptilian beast.
But when the ship’s whaling venture falls short of expectations, the crew begins to regard the dragon—seething with feral power in its cage—as bad luck, a feeling that is cruelly reinforced when a violent storm sinks the ship.
Drifting across an increasingly hallucinatory ocean, the survivors, including Jaffy and Tim, are forced to confront their own place in the animal kingdom. Masterfully told, wildly atmospheric, and thundering with tension, Jamrach’s Menagerie is a truly haunting novel about friendship, sacrifice, and survival.
Tags: download, carol birch, ebook, pdf, jamrach's menagerie
- Jamrach's Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- An Imaginary Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- Imaginary Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- The Great Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie, #1) (Carol Birch)
- Oudry's Painted Menagerie (Carol Birch)
- Spider Sense (Kontra's Menagerie, #5) (Carol Birch)
- Hope for a Buffalo (Kontra's Menagerie, #3) (Carol Birch)
- In the Eyes of Crazy (Kontra's Menagerie, #9) (Carol Birch)
- The Menagerie and Other Byomkesh Bakshi Mysteries (Carol Birch)
- Giving Perrin Life (Kontra's Menagerie, #7) (Carol Birch)
- The Glass Menagerie (KnowledgeNotes Student Guides) (Carol Birch)
- CliffNotes on Williams' Glass Menagerie & Streetcar Named Desire (Carol Birch)
Download from partner sites
|jamrachs_menagerie.pdf||4.9 Mb||Download PDF|
|jamrachs_menagerie.zip||4.41 Mb||Download ZIP|
|jamrachs_menagerie.torrent||0.18 Mb||Download from Torrent|