The author was seven when her parents began to homestead an isolated 320-acre farm on the western plains. She tells the story through her eyes as a sensitive, fearless young girl who came to love the wind, the vastness, the mystery and magic in the ordinary.
This evocative memoir of a pioneer childhood on the Great Plains is written with the lyricism and sensitivity that distinguishes all of Sanora Babb's writing. An Owl on Every Post, with its environmental disasters, extreme weather, mortgage foreclosures, and harsh living conditions, resonates as much today as when it first appeared. What this true story of Sanora's prairie childhood reveals best are the values courage, pride, determination, and love that allowed her family to prevail over total despair.
This long, out-of-print memoir is reissued with new acclaim:
"On a par stylistically and thematically with Willa Cather's My Antonia, this is a classic that deserves to be rediscovered and cherished for years to come." Linda Miller, English Professor at Penn State and chairman of the Editorial Advisory Board for The Cambridge Edition of the Letters of Ernest Hemingway.
"An unsung masterpiece in the field of American autobiography I was completely blown away. This memoir offers an unforgettable picture of pioneer life. Her ageless story deserves a permanent place in our nation's literature. Arnold Rampersad, author of Ralph Ellison: A Biography.
About the Author
Sanora Babb is the author of five books, as well as numerous essays, short stories, and poems that were published in literary magazines alongside the work of William Saroyan, Ralph Ellison, Katherine Anne Porter, and William Carlos Williams. Her Dust Bowl novel, Whose Names Are Unknown, was recently featured in the Ken Burns documentary on The Dust Bowl.
"A wry, affectionate but unsentimental recall of frontiering struggles in Colorado just prior to WWI." Kirkus
"Masterly. Hers is a small song, and not grand opera. But hearing it is a significant and salutary experience." London Times
"The author has achieved a small miracle with this book for she has turned hunger, poverty, loneliness and depression into incomparable beauty by the magic of her writing." The Pretoria News
"Babb's engaging memoir recalls a childhood spent on the harsh and wild Colorado frontier during the early 1900s." Publishers Weekly
Owl is novelist Babb's memories of her childhood in eastern Colorado and Kansas before World War I. LJ's reviewer found that Babb wrote well, "relating vividly and with fine and fond recollection" Library Journal 12/1/70.
Tags: download, sanora babb, ebook, pdf, an owl on every post
- All those mornings . . . at the Post The 20th Century in Sports from Famed Washington Post Columnist Shirley Povich (Sanora Babb)
- 580 Color Paintings of Paul Cezanne (Cézanne) - French Post-Impressionist Painter (Cézanne) - French Post-Impressionist Painter (January 19, 1839 - October 22, 1906) (Sanora Babb)
- Anti-Pelagian Writings (Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers 5, Series 1) (Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers 5, Series 1) (Sanora Babb)
- At the Post (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Pop Art (Sanora Babb)
- Ab die Post (Sanora Babb)
- Off The Post (Sanora Babb)
- An Owl on Every Post (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Theory (Sanora Babb)
- The Riddled Post (Sanora Babb)
- A Post-May Adolescence (Sanora Babb)
- Post Mortem (Sanora Babb)
- The Little War of Private Post (Sanora Babb)
- Post Captain (Sanora Babb)
- Pigeon Post (Sanora Babb)
- Post Petrarchism (Sanora Babb)
- Emily Post's (Sanora Babb)
- Emily Post (Sanora Babb)
- The Post-Confessionals (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Nationalism (Sanora Babb)
- Ghost in the Post (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Human (Post-Human, #2) (Sanora Babb)
- The Post-War Dream (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Marxism (Sanora Babb)
- Post Racial? (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Experimentalism (Sanora Babb)
- What Is Post Modernism (Sanora Babb)
- Post Haste (Sanora Babb)
- Post-Holocaust (Sanora Babb)
- Post Mortem (Sanora Babb)
Download from partner sites
|an_owl_on_every_post.pdf||2.2 Mb||Download PDF|
|an_owl_on_every_post.zip||1.98 Mb||Download ZIP|
|an_owl_on_every_post.torrent||0.18 Mb||Download from Torrent|