For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of us Creeches, but also full of friends and visiting relatives.
In the summer, we usually took a trip, all of us piled in a car and heading out to Wisconsin or Michigan or, once, to Idaho. We must have been a very noisy bunch, and I'm not sure how our parents put up with being cooped up with us in the car for those trips. The five-day trip out to Idaho when I was twelve had a powerful effect on me: what a huge and amazing country! I had no idea then that thirty-some years later, I would recreate that trip in a book called Walk Two Moons.
One other place we often visited was Quincy, Kentucky, where my cousins lived (and still live) on a beautiful farm, with hills and trees and swimming hole and barn and hayloft. We were outside running in those hills all day long, and at night we'd gather on the porch where more stories would be told. I loved Quincy so much that it has found its way into many of my books—transformed into Bybanks, Kentucky. Bybanks appears in Walk Two Moons and Chasing Redbird and Bloomability. Bybanks also makes a brief appearance (by reference, but not by name) in The Wanderer.
When I was young, I wanted to be many things when I grew up: a painter, an ice skater, a singer, a teacher, and a reporter. It soon became apparent that I had little drawing talent, very limited tolerance for falling on ice, and absolutely no ability to stay on key while singing. I also soon learned that I would make a terrible reporter because when I didn't like the facts, I changed them. It was in college, when I took literature and writing courses, that I became intrigued by story-telling. Later, I was a teacher (high school English and writing) in England and in Switzerland. While teaching great literature, I learned so much about writing: about what makes a story interesting and about techniques of plot and characterization and point of view. I started out writing novels for adults: The Recital and Nickel Malley were both written and published while I was living in England (these books were published in England only and are now out of print.) But the next book was Absolutely Normal Chaos, and ever since that book I have written mainly about young people. Walk Two Moons was the first of my books to be published in America. When it received the Newbery Medal, no one was more surprised than I was. I'm still a little bit in shock.
After Walk Two Moons came Chasing Redbird, Pleasing the Ghost, Bloomability, The Wanderer, and Fishing in the Air. I hope to be writing stories for a long, long time.
I am married to Lyle Rigg, who is the headmaster of The Pennington School in Pennington, New Jersey, and have two grown children, Rob and Karin. Being with my family is what I enjoy most. The next-best thing is writing stories.
© Sharon Creech
Tags: download, sharon creech, ebook, pdf, strategies on tape
- Strategies On Tape (Sharon Creech)
- The Mix Tape (Sharon Creech)
- Tape Op Issue No. 96 (Sharon Creech)
- Rules and Red Tape (Sharon Creech)
- Mama Rex and T Run Out of Tape (Sharon Creech)
- The Corregidor Tape (Sharon Creech)
- TRUTH OF THE STOCK TAPE (Sharon Creech)
- Ruffle Coo & Hoo Doo W/Tape & Plush (Sharon Creech)
- Duct Tape Parenting (Sharon Creech)
- A Boy Called Duct Tape (Sharon Creech)
- Sex, Lies and Bondage Tape (Sharon Creech)
- Studies In Tape Reading (Sharon Creech)
- Tales on Tape for Children (Sharon Creech)
- The Complete Guide to Toeic Tape (Sharon Creech)
- The Healthy Heart Walking Tape (Sharon Creech)
- The Moonshot Tape & A Poster of the Cosmos (Sharon Creech)
- Spies, Lies & Duct Tape (Sharon Creech)
- Mixed Tape Series Volume #4 (Sharon Creech)
- Tapestry Listening & Speaking 4 Text/Audio Tape Package (Sharon Creech)
- Writing Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Strategies of Genius (Sharon Creech)
- Let's Talk Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Five Future Strategies You Need Right Now (Sharon Creech)
- Agricultural Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Stem Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Sun Tzu Strategies for Selling (Sharon Creech)
- Global Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Summit Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- EU Trade Strategies (Sharon Creech)
- Two Strategies for Europe (Sharon Creech)
Download from partner sites
|strategies_on_tape.pdf||7.1 Mb||Download PDF|
|strategies_on_tape.zip||6.39 Mb||Download ZIP|
|strategies_on_tape.torrent||0.18 Mb||Download from Torrent|